Photo credit FoodNetwork.com
These stuffed peppers are a nice take on Greek Orzo salad. They are easy to make, look great assembled, and are tasty. If you are in a hurry you do not need to bake the peppers after they are assembled, but they are better if you do. If you like this recipe try another of your favourite grain or pasta salads in place of the Greek Orzo salad.
*If you are having trouble finding whole wheat orzo? Try Zellers. It is the cheapest place that I have consistently found it.
Greek Orzo Stuffed Peppers
4 yellow, orange and/or red bell peppers
1/2 cup whole-wheat orzo
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 1/2 cups spinach, coarsely chopped
1 tsp dried oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
3/4 cup crumbled light feta cheese, divided
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (if packed in oil, rinse first)
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Halve peppers lengthwise through the stems. Remove the stem, seeds and white membrane. Place the peppers in a large microwave-safe dish. Add 1/2 inch water, cover and microwave on High until the peppers are just softened, ~8 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until just tender, ~ 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Mash chickpeas into a chunky paste.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft,~ 4 minutes. Add spinach and oregano and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, ~ 1 minute. Stir in the orzo, chickpeas, 1/2 cup feta, sun-dried tomatoes, and vinegar.
- Place peppers into a baking dish. Divide the filling among the pepper halves and sprinkle each pepper with some of the remaining 1/4 cup feta.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
Recipe adapted from EatingWell.com