Typical croquettes are made with minced meat, fish, or vegetables, and they are coated with egg and bread crumbs and deep-fried. These croquettes are much healthier version. Black beans serve as a protein and fibre rich filling and the light coating provides a nice crunch without too much grease. I liked these croquettes as per the recipe below; however, if you prefer spicier foods you may wish to add hot sauce to the bean mixture. My favourite part about this recipe was the tomato avocado salsa. It was so colourful, fresh, and it really complimented the croquettes well. When you choose avocados, select ones that yield to firm gentle pressure as they are ripe and ready to eat. If they are too hard or too soft it may compromise the quality of the salsa. Serve these black bean croquettes and salsa with a green salad or a side of steamed vegetables.
Oven “Fried” Black Bean Croquettes with Tomato Avocado Salsa
2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
2/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs, divided
2 cups tomatoes, finely chopped
2 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp olive oil
1 avocado, diced
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a baking sheet with oil.
- Mash black beans and cumin in a large bowl until no whole beans remain. Stir in corn and 1/3 cup breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl, combine tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, and 1 teaspoon chili powder. Stir 1 cup of the tomato mixture into the black bean mixture.
- Mix the remaining 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, oil and the remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder in a small bowl until the breadcrumbs are coated with oil. Divide the bean mixture into eight 1/2-cup balls. Lightly press each bean ball into the breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the croquettes about 20 minutes.
- Stir avocado into the remaining tomato mixture. Serve the salsa with the croquettes.
Recipe adapted from EatingWell.com