This is a recipe that I found in a cookbook that I purchased for under $10 new! It’s called “The Vegetable Cookbook” and it’s produced by LoveFood. I bought it for an under $10 anonymous gift exchange that my family does at Christmas. When my uncle unwrapped it he said, “thanks Kara” so I guess I wasn’t that anonymous in my gift selection. In the end I ended up with my own gift (I still can’t believe no one else snatched up a cookbook focused on vegetables!), but I promised that I would share any recipes from it that tasted great and were easy to make.
This recipe is a nice option for someone who wants to try tofu but is afraid of it. With the nice spicy coating on the tofu and all of the vegetables mixed into the filling you barely notice that you are eating tofu. The recipe yields 4 servings, but next time I make it I will definitely double the recipe as these wraps are great the next day.
Chili Tofu Tortillas
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup firm tofu, cut into 1 cm cubes
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 large avocado, sliced
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
4 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
4 10 inch whole grain tortillas
2/3 cup low fat plain yogurt
2 cups salsa
3 tbsp fresh cilantro (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Mix together the chili powder, paprika, flour, and salt and pepper to taste on a plate and use to coat the tofu pieces.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and gently cooked the tofu over med-high heat, until tofu has browned. Remove from pan and drain on paper towel.
- Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes, or until they just begin to soften.
- Halve the avocado, peel and remove the seed. Slice, and place in a bowl with the lime juice.
- Add the tofu and the onion mixture to the avocado and gently mix in the tomatoes and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Divide filling between the 4 tortillas, and top with a little plain yogurt. Roll up.
- Arrange the tortillas in a shallow, ovenproof dish and top with salsa and remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes. Cheese should be golden brown and bubbling when tortillas are ready.
- Serve immediately. You can add cilantro, jalapeno chiles, plain yogurt, extra salsa, and or extra avocado.
Recipe adapted from The Vegetable Cookbook 2011 edition