This is another quick and tasty salad that you can make for dinner and then pack for lunch the following day. When I make grain salads I usually eat them as the main part of my meal and therefore like them to be packed with vegetables and have some protein. When I made this salad I found that the final product did not have enough vegetables for me. I enjoyed it a lot more with some cucumber and tomato added in. I didn’t include cucumber and tomato on the ingredients list as I wanted to leave it open for you to be able to add whatever extra vegetables might be hanging around your fridge. Next time I make this salad I will consider adding some shredded carrots or beets and maybe some lentils.
Grain salads can be really versatile, so be creative the next time you make one and experiment with different grains, vegetables, cheese, and nuts.
Orzo & Arugula Salad
1 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo
2 cups arugula or spinach
1/2 cup feta, crumbled
3-4 sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup toasted and chopped walnuts or pecans
Squeeze of lemon
Lemon thyme vinaigrette:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp grated lemon zest
2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped (1 tbsp dried thyme)
salt & pepper, to taste
pinch of red pepper flakes
- Cook the orzo in boiling water for about 7-10 minutes.
- Whisk together all ingredients for the lemon thyme vinaigrette. Set aside.
- Place the arugula in a large bowl. When the orzo is cooked, use a slotted spoon to scoop the hot orzo over the arugula.
- Add the feta cheese, and pour in some of the dressing. Toss to combine, the arugula will begin to wilt.
- Add as much or little of the dressing as you like. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from: http://www.loveandlemons.com/2012/06/18/orzo-arugula-salad-lemon-thyme/