Although there are a few good commercially prepared veggie burgers out there, I find that many of the ones for sale are either too salty or contain too many things I’d rather not eat. If I am in the mood for a veggie burger, this is the one that I will often make. These spicy black bean burgers are quick, easy, and can even be made ahead and then frozen.
For best results, try drying the black beans after you rinse them.
For a wheat free veggie burger you can substitute quick cooking oats for the whole wheat bread crumbs.
If you feel like veggie burgers, but aren’t in the mood to cook see this article (page 2 and 3) for a top 10 list of better choice commercially prepared veggie burgers. http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/taste-test-best-veggie-burgers
Spicy Black Bean Burgers
1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp hot sauce
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
4-6 slices cheddar cheese (optional)
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into 4-6 patties. (If mixture is too wet, you can try placing in the refrigerator for an hour or so, or you can add more bread crumbs)
- If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
- Add cheese slices and allow another minute or so for cheese to melt.
Recipe adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-black-bean-veggie-burgers/