This is a nice rice salad that works great as a side dish or as a main (it’s a complete source of protein!). The salad has a mild curry flavour and is light and refreshing. If you enjoy spicier foods feel free to use medium curry paste (or stronger) instead of mild. This salad will stay fresh for up to 3 days, so make it ahead of time for dinner or for lunches.
When I made the salad I toasted the almonds first to enhance their flavour and give them a crunchier texture. To toast whole almonds:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread nuts in one layer on ungreased shallow baking pan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned and fragrant.
This recipe makes about 10 servings. Each serving has about 300 Calories and 10 grams of protein.
Curried Rice and Lentil Salad
1 1/2 cups long grain brown rice
2 tsp mild curry paste
2 1/4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
1 (19 oz) can lentils, drained and rinsed
1 cup almonds, whole
1/2 cup carrot, grated
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
3 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp honey
pepper to taste
- Place the rice, curry paste, and vegetable stock in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook about 15 minutes or until broth is fully absorbed and rice is tender.
- Transfer rice to a mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients.
- Toss to combine.
- Salad can be eaten warm, or you can cover and chill salad until needed.
Recipe adapted from Thrifty Foods Recipes