Oatmeal cookies are comforting, classic, and versatile. Once you find a base recipe that you like, you can play around with different combinations of chocolate, dried fruit, and nuts to create all kinds of delicious cookies. This recipe is currently my favourite cookie recipe as I love the combination of dark chocolate, coconut, and oatmeal! These cookies are best enjoyed with a glass of low fat milk.
Chocolate Chip, Coconut, Oatmeal Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen cookies
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 1-2 baking sheets.
- Place oats, flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and mix together.
- Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg and vanilla; beat until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients With the mixer running, beating on low speed until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and shredded coconut.
- Drop the dough by tablespoons, at least 1 inch apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake cookies about 15 minutes.
- Cool the cookies for about 2 minutes, and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/bevs_chocolate_chip_cookies.html