Roasted beets, carrots and onions are so sweet and delicious that it really doesn’t take much to make a great dish with them. Although you can use any kind of beet in this salad recipe, golden beets tend to be a bit milder in flavour and won’t stain hands, clothes, etc, while you are prepping them. This dish is incredibly simple to make and I recommend it for anyone looking for a quick dinner that they can pack for lunch the next day. Not including roasting time, this recipe took about 15 minutes to prepare (using canned chickpeas) and cost under $8 to make. If you want to make this salad a little heartier, try adding in some scrubbed and quartered red skinned potatoes.
Roasted Golden Beet, Carrot and Chickpea Salad
Makes ~ 2 main servings and ~4 side servings
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Toss sliced carrots, beets, and onion with 2 tbsp olive oil and salt to taste.
- Spread in a single layer in baking dish and roast until tender and beginning to brown ~40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make dressing mix lemon juice, mustard, garlic, and 1/4 cup olive oil in a small bowl. Whisk until combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine roasted carrots, beets, onions, chickpeas, and parsley. Pour vinaigrette over salad mixture and toss to combine. You can use as much or as little of the dressing as you like.
- Add black pepper to taste. Serve the salad warm.