This black bean soup is hearty, healthy, and comes together very quickly thanks to canned black beans (although it can easily be made using dried beans). If has a lovely “Southwest” flavour and is perfect for rainy days when you need a little heat. If you prefer mild heat/spice, make sure to remove all of the seed pods when you are prepping the jalapeno (as that is where most of the spice is). If you prefer no heat/spice you can substitute 1/2 of a green pepper for the jalapeno.
Try serving this soup with whole wheat corn bread or low sodium tortilla chips*, and/or topping it with low-fat plain yogurt, cilantro, sharp cheddar cheese, or avocado.
This soup can be refrigerated up to three days or can be stored in the freezer for up to two months. For best results, reheat gently over low-moderate heat.
* Classic corn tortilla chips, like Que Pasa brand, tend to be lower in salt, while brands like Tostitos are often much higher. Be sure to check the product’s nutrition facts table to make an informed decision.
Black Bean Soup
Makes about 8 cups
3 19oz cans low sodium black beans (or 3 cups of cooked black beans ~ 1 cup dry)
1 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 yellow onions, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp jalapeno peppers, chopped
1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 14oz can no salt stewed tomatoes
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large pot heat oil over medium heat; cook garlic, onions and celery, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onions are softened.
- Add chili powder, jalapeno pepper, oregano, and cumin; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.
- Add beans, vegetable broth, tomatoes and salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- In food processor or blender, puree the soup in batches. Return to pot; heat through.
- Stir in lime juice. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with cornbread or tortilla chips
Recipe adapted from http://www.canadianliving.com/food/black_bean_soup_with_lime_coriander_sauce.php