These red bean burritos make for a speedy dinner. You can bake them as per the directions below or if you are in a rush you can microwave them on medium-high for 2-4 minutes, or until heated through. They are great served with ripe avocado slices, fresh lettuce, additional salsa, and low fat plain yogurt. Each serving has >12 grams of protein and > 6 grams of fibre.
Kidney beans are a very good source of folate. They are also rich in dietary fiber (soluble and insoluble), which can help lower cholesterol and improve blood sugar control.
Quick Red Bean Burritos
1 19oz can red kidney beans
1/2 cup salsa
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp cumin
4 9-inch whole wheat tortillas (usually the Blue Menu ones are lower in sodium)
4 green onions, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded (can use Mozzarella or a mix)
- Drain and rinse kidney beans, then mass to a chunky paste.
- Combine beans, salsa, and spices. Mix well.
- Spread 1/4 of the bean mixture over each tortilla. Divide tomato, green onions, and green pepper between the tortillas. Sprinkle with 3/4 of the shredded cheese.
- Roll up each tortilla and place seam side down in a lightly oiled baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
- Bake in 400F oven for about 10 minutes or until the burritos are heated through and the cheese has melted.
- Serve burritos with shredded lettuce, ripe avocado slices, salsa, and low fat plain yogurt.
Recipe adapted from Anne Lindsay “Lighthearted at Home”