Lentils are a great choice for any vegetarian meal. They are relatively inexpensive and are quick and easy to prepare. They absorb flavours well from other foods and seasonings, are high in folate, fibre, iron and protein, and are available throughout the year.
This sweet and sour lentils recipe has rich aromatic flavours and is great served over brown rice. It makes for a very filling main dish or can be served as a side. Don’t let this meal’s appearance fool you, it is actually very tasty! _______________________________________________________________________________________
Sweet and Sour Lentils
Makes about 4-6 servings
2 cups lentils (red, green or a mix)
1 cooking onion, chopped
4 cups water
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup sunflower oil
1/2 cup honey
6 tbsp vinegar
2/3 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- In a large saucepan, combine lentils, onion, water and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes, or until lentils are soft
- In a baking dish combine oil, honey, vinegar, spices and soy sauce.
- Add cooked lentils to baking dish
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour at 350 F, or until thickened. Stir mixtures a few times while baking.
- Remove bay leaves and serve over brown rice.